Casey Affleck On The Stresses Of Working With Christian Bale On “Out Of The Furnace”
With Christian [Bale], I hadn’t worked in a few years and Kenny [Lonergan] was doing this play, which was called “The Medieval Play” which I had done a first act performance of, and it was one of the funniest things anyone has never seen. It really was one of my favorite things and I used to laugh on stage and Kenny would get very mad at me but I couldn’t do the play without laughing because it was so funny.
Then he was gonna do it for a longer run, and I was — as happens sometimes in my career — broke. And I had to go do this movie instead of doing that. And I asked Kenny’s permission if I could do that and he said of course go do that…So then I went to go do “Out of the Furnace” and Christian [Bale] was on that. And I had sort of forgotten a little bit of like what you’re supposed to do on set– It had been a couple of years. And I also stopped liking being in movies because of all the stuff surrounding it.
Then I was there with him and he just never has a false moment. You just look in his eyes and he seems like a real person who’s really saying these things. He really cares about you or doesn’t care about you, or whatever it is that he’s supposed to be doing, and it was unnerving. So for the first few days I went home and felt terrible — like a fraud. And then I sort of fell into the groove with him.
I remember saying to him on the first day, “I’m really sorry, man. I just feel totally lost in the scene.” And he perked up and said, “Oh great! Lost is a really good thing to feel!” And I thought like, Ok, I”m in great hands with this guy. He’s one of my favorites.
- Out Of The Furnace Gets A Release Date
- Will ‘Out Of The Furnace’ Make It To The TIFF 2012?
- Christian Bale Nominated By The International Press Academy (Satelite Awards)
- ‘Out Of The Furnace’ @ The Rome Film Festival
- Christian Bale To Attend Q&A For ‘Out Of The Furnace’, November 17th
- New Still From ‘Out Of The Furnace’ Featuring Bale/Affleck
- Billy Bob Thornton And Forest Whitaker May Join ‘Out Of The Furnace’
- Casey Affleck Frontrunner to Join Revenge Thriller ‘Out Of The Furnace’ [Via Deadline]